Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Sleeping System

My view on backpacking is to go as light as you can, while still being comfortable in the process. Backpacking is my idea of the perfect vacation, so a good night sleep is always a good thing for me. So here is my sleep system. I could go lighter; however, I don't think I could be any more comfortable. The PFS also is used as part of my backpack's frame and a sit pad. The Caribou is rated to 35 degrees F and with silk long underwear, sleeping socks, a wool Buff, and a WM Flight Vest I could easily take this sleep system down to 0 degrees F (yes I am a warm sleeper). The Caribou is a great sleeping bag for me at 6'4" and 230 lbs. and is great to use as a quilt too. The trash bag gives me an emergency bivy bag for protection if the weather gets really ugly.


WM Caribou MF Long           21.0 oz.
Padded Ground Sheet             2.2 oz
Padded Frame Sheet              2.8 oz
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir            18.0 oz
Ace Black Trash bag                1.0 oz
                                            ===========
                                                  45.0 oz       or 2.8 lb


That means that I will be under 6 lbs. for the Big Three: Pack, Shelter and Sleep System. That is about a pound to much for solo hiking, but remember that is a shelter for three and part of a sleep system for three too. I could easily put the girls head to head on the NeoAir and I would use the other two pads. 


I don't think the girls should carry more than 6 lbs total. That should be enough to include their pack, sleeping bag, half a liter of water, frame pad, cloths, and their essentials and snacks. You also have to remember that I would only be hiking a max of five miles a day with the girls.  


I could save weight by dumping the NeoAir and trade out the TrailStar Tarp for a solo tarp like the MLD Monk Tarp and save 28 oz total. Again this might be great idea for long solo hikes, and if the Trailstar is too small in storm mode for the three of us I could always add the Monk Tarp for added protection..



1 comment: